Tidings from Titus | June 2024

Tidings from Titus graphic, featuring a head shot of smiling Titus!

RARE Family,

Sure hope this message finds all of you amazing individuals happy and healthy as we gear up for Summer Solstice and all of the wonder that lie ahead. There is never a dull moment here at the RARE AmeriCorps Program and I am personally excited to share a few programmatic updates that speak to the impactful work we are taking on.

I can’t help but start by giving a massive shoutout to this year’s cohort who continue to give their all to create catalytic change in the rural communities we serve. From reinvigorating a farmers market in Dallas, to helping wildfire impacted communities along the McKenzie River corridor recover, to supporting agricultural producers and small businesses who are interested in leveraging renewable energy technologies, this year’s cohort is clearly “getting things done”. For those who are interested in learning more about the impact this year’s cohort is having across rural Oregon, please make sure to check out our Stories from The Field blogpost series.

And just like that, we close in on the end of one service year and gear up for another. I am pleased to announce the RARE Team is currently work through this year’s placement process, all with the hopes of sending 35 passionate and driven individuals out to rural Oregon for a year of service. We have individuals coming from across the country who will be serving rural communities ranging from Enterprise to Bandon, from Lakeview to La Grande, etc. I am beyond excited about what the future has in store and can’t help but express a massive amount of gratitude to the RARE Team for all the love and intention they pour into our annual placement process. It’s clear to me that we are gearing up for another very impactful service year!

Lastly, I want to take a moment to thank all our wonderful alumni for the support that each of you have and continue to provide. It’s the people, our deep relationships, that have always been behind my love for the RARE AmeriCorps Program. Each of you have played a role in helping make this Program be the best it can be for our members and community partners. With that, I am excited to personally invite you to our 30 Year RARE Reunion that we are gearing up to host here in Eugene on August 3rd. As I reflect on my journey with the RARE AmeriCorps Program, the collective impact we have had across rural Oregon, all the wonderful people I have met along the way… it’s clear to me this network has a lot to celebrate!

Onward and Upward,

Titus Tomlinson, Years 13 & 16
RARE Program Director