Tidings From Titus – March 2021

Photo of Program Director, Titus Tomlinson, pointing at the RARE logo on the back of his t-shirt

RARE Family, 

If there is one thing that has been reaffirmed for me time and time again since first being introduced to the RARE AmeriCorps Program, well, it’s that relationships matter and by working together as a network, a team, a family, we can achieve greatness. The importance of developing strong relationships is not only critical to “getting things done” but it’s also what makes this program so darn special!  

When you serve rural with the RARE AmeriCorps Program it’s a given that you walk away with new connections, a strengthened network, and if you are lucky, maybe even a lifelong friendship or two. As I reflect on my service with the RARE AmeriCorps Program it’s hard for me not to think about all the wonderful individuals who I was lucky enough to serve alongside. Many of these individuals are still part of my life, a few of whom I truly consider my closet friends. There are many reasons why I hold the RARE AmeriCorps Program so dear, but it’s always the relationships that make their way to the top of my list 

And then there is all the passionate, driven, kindhearted members that I have had the honor of supporting throughout my 10 years of working as staff for the RARE AmeriCorps Program. Each of you, and you know who you are, that I have gotten to know and befriend hold a special place in my heart. It means the world to me to be part of your story and to know that maybe, just maybe, this Program has meant just as much to you has it has to me.  

Speaking of relationships, I can’t help but take pause and honor one young amazing man from our network, Emerson Hoagland, who recently passed. Emerson was placed with the City of Reedsport during our 24th year of service then went on to participate in the Master of Community and Regional Planning Program here at the University of Oregon. Emerson was truly a giver, always going the extra mile for anyone and everyone that needed a helping hand. I will never forget Emerson and am beyond thankful for the relationship that I was fortunate enough to develop with himThis is not meant to get you down, but rather a reminder to acknowledge those who are special to you.  

Strong relationships help get us through the ups, downs, and all arounds. Both personally and professionally. It’s this network and the relationships we develop that allow us to have such an immense impact across rural Oregon year after year. It’s this network that has made me who I am today. It’s this network that means the world to me. I am beyond thankful to all who have given me a chance, put trust in me, and have allowed me to be part of your story. 

I am sure it comes as no surprise that one of my favorite things about serving rural with the RARE AmeriCorps Program is the relationships that I have and continue to develop. With that, I can’t help but ask one favor of the group – it’s recruitment season and we are looking for the next round of movers and shakers to help us “get things done” for rural Oregon. As Alumni you know exactly what we are looking for. So, if you know someone looking to develop a new relationships, strengthen their network, all while creating positive change… please make sure to send them our way!   

Regards, 

Titus Tomlinson, Years 13 & 16
RARE Program Director