Library welcomes new AmeriCorps member

Christian Sala at Library

Hi, I am Christian Sala, Roseburg Public Library’s new Outreach Services Lead.

A little about myself: I was born in Milan, Italy, to Italian parents. Three months later, my parents moved to Kenya, Africa, where they first met, to raise a family and start a small, humble Italian market. I remained there for 12 years, attending various schools, including a British boarding school and an American Baptist missionary school for families conducting missions in the area.

As a family, we moved back to Italy after my father got sick and needed specialized medical treatment available only in Europe. Once better, my father got an opportunity to open an Italian market in Miami, Florida.

I remained there, completing high school in two years, attending Miami Dade Honors College for two more years, and later transferring to Rutgers University-New Brunswick, the State School of New Jersey, majoring in Economics with a minor in Art History. After graduating, I moved to Eugene, where my parents chose to retire.

I worked as a recreation coordinator for the city of Eugene’s recreation department’s annual summer programs: Fun for All, Movies in the Park, rentals, afterschool teen programs and specialty camps. I worked there for three consecutive summers, mainly delivering arts and craft activities for youth ages 5-17. Some camps and activities I worked on were Mural Camp, Minecraft Architecture Camp and Walk in the Woods.

Once I graduated, I sought valuable and relevant experience in economic development, the field I chose to pursue after my coursework at Rutgers. I contacted the head of the city of Springfield Economic Development Department, Allison Camp, and she directed me to the Resource Assistance for Rural Environments (RARE) AmeriCorps program.

I was fortunate to be accepted as a RARE member and placed at Roseburg Public Library. I can see myself striving, growing and developing some of my professional goals, implementing what I learned as a recreation coordinator and giving back to Oregon, which my family has chosen to call home.

My brief time in Roseburg has been overwhelming, inviting and warm, making the transitions much more enjoyable.

One of the best parts about working for the City is getting to know the community on a first-name basis. One thing you will quickly learn about me is that I could improve with remembering names, but I am great with faces. So, I’ll remember you, but I might ask for your name once or twice.

My tasks during my 11-month service term will include continuing the great work at outreach services, assisting in developing and conducting adult programming, working with volunteers, assisting youth services, researching and implementing best practices for a three-year technology plan, and developing and implementing a library use assessment survey.

I already have hit the ground running with developing the library’s basic technology classes, and I look forward to meeting those adult learners.

Feel free to stop by the front desk and say hello. I would love to strike up conversations about the economy, current affairs, art and culture, and great places to eat in Roseburg.

I look forward to meeting all of the patrons, learning about the Roseburg community and discovering the ins and outs of a public library.

Christian Sala is the outreach services lead at Roseburg Public Library. He can be reached at csala@cityofroseburg.org or 541-492-7052.

This article first appeared on The News-Review and is republished here under a Creative Commons license.