Tiding From Titus | September 2022

Tidings from Titus graphic, featuring a head shot of smiling Titus!

RARE Family,

I sure hope this message finds each and every one of you amazing humans in the best of spirits. It’s one of the most exciting times of the year here at RARE HQ as we welcome a new cohort of change agents to the RARE AC Program. I still can’t believe that we just kicked off our 29th year of serving rural Oregon. This new cohort is something special and and it’s is bound to be an amazing year.

It’s during times like these that I find myself thinking back to when I first came out to Oregon to serve with the RARE AC Program. I vividly remember all of the excitement and anticipation that surrounded me as I made my way up the McKenzie River to open up a new chapter. Little did I know that experience would forever change my life! Not only did I walk away from RARE Orientation with a new network, I walked away feeling that I had found my place in Oregon… with likeminded, passionate, and driven individuals looking to give back, and with a Program whose mission resonates deeply with me to this day.

While much has changed over the years, well, the foundation of RARE remains intact and stronger than ever. We remain committed to providing a topnotch service-learning experience, all while providing critical human capacity to our rural community partners. Matching said capacity with the tools, resources, and expertise found on campus at the University of Oregon and within each of our statewide partners is a recipe for success. It an honor to serve rural Oregon via a program with such a strong track record, and alongside a team of individuals (staff, members, supervisors, etc.) who are beyond committed to making positive change happen. Together we can make a difference!

I often say that “it’s all about the people we meet along the way”. Here at the RARE AC Program, we are privileged to serve alongside and engage with so many wonderful individuals, folks who are out there giving their all to “get things done” for rural Oregon. It’s the people, the relationships, getting to be part of someone’s story, that always keeps me coming back for more. If you feel the same, I invite you to help us welcome our 34 members by joining us at one of our trainings for an alumni dinner, participating in a regional alumni happy hour, or signing up to be a RARE mentor. Because really… it’s all about the people we meet along the way!

In Service,

Titus Tomlinson, Years 13 & 16
RARE Program Director